The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

I certainly did not hate this book. Not one bit. After seeing it all over bookstagram, and it having a wonderful cover, I knew it was on my to read list. What I didn't know when I picked it up before dinner to start reading the beginning was that I would be up until almost 2 a.m. reading it and then lying in bed thinking about it after and through the next few days of my life, because yes, it was that wonderful.


I have a theory. Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them. I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations.

Love and hate are visceral. Your stomach twists at the thought of that person. The heart in your chest beats heavy and bright, nearly visible through your flesh and clothes. Your appetite and sleep are schredded. Every interaction spikes your blood with adrenaline, and you're in the brink of fight or flight. Your body is barely under your control. You're consumed, and it scares you.
Both love and hate are mirror versions of the same game - and you háve to win. Why? Your heart and your ego. Trust me, I should know. - The Hating Game, Sally Thorne

First diving in, I was thinking. yeah, this is pretty good, though I was still worried that maybe the hype was too high. But then suddenly- this book hits me. And there was no stopping the fantastic wonder page by page I read with joy.

When I reached the last page and felt it between my fingers while reading, in my head I was thinking over and over. Please not be the end please not be the end. Alas, turning the page, it was. I want more. Yet, it was magnificent.

Seriously, I am still thinking about it a good week and a half later and have no plans on ever stopping until Sally Thorne writes another novel. Even if it distracts me from other books including my own writing at times. Because I will ponder and whimsically sigh over this story. And also because, as I mentioned, I will be waiting buy the next novel in waiting. Sally Thorne already has my auto-buy trust. If my love for The Hating Game, cuddling up in bed with it ALL night, and already telling you that I would buy her book without even looking at the summary or cover doesn't show you the severity of my love for this novel...I don't know what will.



I want to know what's going on in your brain. I want to juice your head like a lemon. -The Hating Game, Sally Thorne

The book was what romance should be, and what I very much appeared to need when I sat down with The Hating Game. It should be, being that it is up with my very top favorite books of the year...or even ever. I know, that right there is a HUGE statement. It deserves it,

With the steam and banter and characters that gave the plot line a complete rom-com feel while being so relatable. Or if it wasn't, I at least would want to make it be. Publishing house, paintball, sexual tension and all! Lucy and I are practically the same person anyway. We like books, red lipstick to go with out near matching sense of style- we are even the same height! All I would need to do is track down a Joshua to play the hating game with.

Perhaps Sally Thorne knows where I can find one...

While I wait, I am just going to reread this one again. Or maybe a few times.


Comments

Popular Posts